Without doubt, one of the most challenging aspects of living in the world that we do is making use of the finite resources our planet has. With an appetite for consumption, humanity has grown used to having what it wants, when it wants. But when it comes at the cost of the world that we inhabit, is that really such a good thing?
That’s why today we take more care than ever in making sure we only have access to safe, environmentally conscious products. And that’s’ why we are so happy that we have paired up with ECONYL® regenerated nylon. This particular yarn product has become one of the most popular on the market today and is an essential part of making sure we can fight back against the excessive consumption that we have grown so used to utilising in our daily lives. This particular yarn goes into producing eco-friendly carpets.
ECONYL® yarn is a very powerful product and has become recognised as being one of the most effective ways to utilise nylon waste. It’s made from recovered nylon waste, such as fishing nets that are found in the oceans and aquaculture, as well as fabric soaps and carpets heading for landfill. This particular fibre product has become very popular today as it’s allowing us to use previously un-usable parts of our industry, turning it into something useful instead. By doing this, ECONYL® yarn makes sure that we are able to create virgin quality nylon yarn for use in the fashion and the interior design industries.
Fishing nets and other discarded items, as well as waste materials simply set for landfill, can become an easy solution to be used here. Its why many people turn to ECONYL® yarn when they want something that’s durable, effective, and reliable in creating an eco-friendly substance that won’t let anyone down.
One thing that is not used in the creation of ECONYL® fibre, though, is the use of bottles. Bottles are not part of the process, which is why ECONYL® yarn has become such a popular choice. By making sure that only products entirely regenerated via waste materials are used, this product retains strength, durability, and ethical strength.
The product itself is used in various ways and will most commonly be used in the creation of clothing products and other such products. Since ECONYL® fibre is a polyamide, not polyester, it’s extremely strong & effective. It’s also designed to be a majority percentage in a particular product, allowing for minimal use of other products. For example, a swimwear product could be made up of around 80% ECONYL® yarn, and 20% elastomer. This allows for a powerful combination of lycra, nylon, and any other materials needed to create the most durable but also the most environmentally conscious product possible.
So, if you see ECONYL® yarn being used in a product, then you know that it has been designed to be safe, secure, and durable. It’s also been made using ethical means which should give you total and complete confidence as you wear your ECONYL® yarn products in any way you wish.
ECONYL® regenerated nylon has become a go-to product within the industry with good reason; it’s become a fantastic solution for offering a more ethical means of creating nylon-based products.
When creating something as diverse and as powerful as this, there is naturally a lot of work involved. At the moment, the process for creating ECONYL® yarn involves the following steps:
1. The process starts off by rescuing as much waste product as is possible. this often includes things like carpet flooring, industrial plastic taken from landfills and ocean spots, and fishing nets.
2. These are then thoroughly cleaned and cared for, sorted through to get all of the nylon that is possible from each source. This is then put together, ready to be used when appropriate.
3. Regeneration takes place, utilising a radical process that recycles the nylon waste right back to the original purity that is needed. This gives it the same standard and style as quality, original virgin nylon.
4. Once this process is complete, the remaking process is started. All ECONYL® regenerated nylon is then processed into a carpet yarn substance and a textile yarn substance for each industry.
5. At this stage, it’s then suitable for potential uses in so many different and unique ways. At this phase, a piece of ECONYL® regenerated nylon could be used infinitively without a loss of quality or purpose.
It’s this circular journey that allows this fabric to retain the strength, the purity, and the consistency that one would have expected when they first looked into the product. As you can see, then, this is a product that goes through an intense process.
With the main sources of the product coming from the Healthy Seas initiative, a major charitable body working to keep our oceans free from waste, the Net-Works initiative, as well as the fishing industry, it’s clear to see that a huge amount of work has gone into creating this process.
Without going into the ethical and the ecological concerns about using non-sustainable and non-recyclable goods, some of the major reasons for any designer/architect to consider going down a more ethical route would include:
1. Enjoy a higher standard of product, knowing that your source materials are going to last longer than less suitable, less long-term solutions which are made to be wasted.
2. Benefit the planet and your clients with the use of products and textiles that come from cleaner, more ethical sources than at present.
3. Get involved with the coming green demand; people actively want to use products made with an ethical mind-set and the long-term future of the planet in mind.
4. Encourage others to get involved with green building, showing them that the products and solutions exist to allow us to retain our own desire for individuality without harming the planet.
As you can see, then, there are various reasons why using a product such as ECONYL® yarn might make a lot of sense for you personally. If you are looking for a reason to try using more eco-friendly fibre products in carpet, be sure to try out ECONYL® fibre for yourself.
We’ve linked a few products below which benefit from this fibre -